Summer brings more opportunities for outdoor activities around the house. Why not plan a “staycation” in your own backyard; but play it safe:
- Keep your grill on a level surface away from your house, garage and any flammable objects.
- Don’t step away from a grill while it’s on, and keep children and pets at a safe distance from the flames.
- When using charcoal, extinguish properly by breaking up the embers with a long stick or grilling tool, then covering the grill to cut off the oxygen. Or, slowly sprinkle the coals with water. Once the coals are cooled completely, dispose of them in a metal container.
- Before mowing, clear the yard of any loose objects that could fly out from under the lawnmower.
- When using power tools for yard work, wear protective gear and cover your eyes with goggles.
- Wear protective clothing when using pesticides etc and don’t spray around children or pets and precisely follow directions.
- Before you dig a hole in your yard for any reason call your local utility company to avoid underground gas or power lines.
- Install four foot high fence around the pool area and include self-closing gates with latches out of reach of children.
- Keep the pool area clear of toys and other objects that someone may trip over.
- Never allow children to swim without adult supervision.
- Place a sturdy pool cover over the pool when it’s not in use.
- Place swing sets and other play equipment on level ground, and make sure legs are properly
- Inspect play sets regularly for any sharp bolts, screws, nails or rot.
- When celebrating with fireworks, wear safety glasses when handling fireworks, and have water handy to soak spent fireworks before disposing of them.
Be careful of becoming over-exposed to the sun. Drink plenty of fluids, and seek air conditioning if you become overheated, and have fun!